PHP has been around for a while and is a widely-used, free, and efficient alternative to competitors such as Microsoft’s ASP. It is a server side scripting language. To start with the basic:
- PHP stands for “PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor”
- Syntax is based on Perl, Java, and C. So if you know C, you should feel confident.
- Very good for creating dynamic content
- PHP code may be embedded into HTML code, or it can be used in combination with various web template systems, web content management systems, and web frameworks.
- Above all it is the language used by THE FACEBOOK : )
What you need to learn?
To build basic understanding of the language you should be able to have knowledge about:
- How to install XAMP/WAMP and get your SERVER running using PHP
- Understanding Variables
- Playing with Echo/Print
- Data Types and Strings
- Conditions: If then else/Switch Case
- Loops: For Loop/While Loop/Do While
And after this, your learning is limitless. The more you play, the more you get into practice and become an expert.
What are your sources to learn the language?
There are numerous sources from where you can learn the PHP. From PAID sites to free ones, you can also find lots of video tutorials via youtube.
For those who wish to learn via videos here are few:
1. Quick Start: 15 Minutes tutorial which quickly takes you through to the PHP and makes you get started
2. Beginner’s Guide to PHP
What Is PHP?
How to Use Proper Syntax in PHP
How to Create and Use PHP Variables
How to Use Functions in PHP
How to Work With Data Types in PHP
How to Echo in PHP
How to Include and Require Files in PHP
How to Use If, Else, and Switch in PHP
How to Use Operators in PHP
How to Manipulate Arrays Using PHP
How to Use $_POST and $_GET in PHP
How to Write Custom Functions in PHP
Wish to explore more? Here are few more sites for you:
- If you wish to practice and learn, best site to learn PHP is from W3Schools: https://www.w3schools.com/php/
- Another similar site is Tutorials Point: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/php/
Installing WAMP over Windows
15 Minute PHP Video Tutorial to make you get started
Beginner’s Guide to PHP
Using GitHub with PHP
Use Stackoverflow to get your answers